The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
As a Data Scientist with ASHA you will help expand ASHA’s data and analytics program with your statistical and machine learning skillset. In this position you will help ASHA staff establish best practices for the creation and use of advanced analytical methods to better serve our membership community.
Every day you will…
- Work with an awesome team of data professionals (read: data nerds) to leverage ASHA’s data assets in new and exciting ways
- Interact with ASHA's business teams to gather requirements, test models, and deploy findings
- Utilize your ingenuity and creativity to discover and explore analytics approaches for the organization
To thrive in this role, you need to...
- Have a passion for finding creative ways to leverage data to answer key business questions for the association.
- Be comfortable sharing your knowledge and techniques with a data team from diverse backgrounds
- Be adept at explaining technical analytics approaches and outcomes to non-technical audiences
- Really enjoy tacos and cake (inside joke... we will explain in the interview)
As a Data Scientist with ASHA you will help expand ASHA’s data and analytics program with your statistical and machine learning skillset. In this position you will help ASHA staff establish best practices for the creation and use of advanced analytics. You will be a key technical expert, responsible and accountable for leading ASHA’s advanced analytics efforts. This position will partner with data analysts, data engineers, business analysts, and business units to deliver solutions that change the way ASHA leverages our data resources.
- Serve as ASHA’s subject matter expert on statistical and machine learning based approaches to data mining, analysis, modeling, and predictive analytics.
- Work closely with business units within ASHA to understand requirements, develop data projects, create usable models, explain models, leverage insights, and report on model performance.
- Serve as the key technical expert for advanced analytics on the Data Analytics Team.
- Work closely with team members to identify opportunities to apply new techniques and processes to our existing analytics efforts.
- Partner with ASHA’s Data Architect and Database Developer to compile the datasets required to support an advanced analytics program.
- Work with stakeholders to plan and engage in timely research (e.g., engagement analysis, personalization, content utilization, membership trend forecasting, membership segmentation, propensity scoring, etc.) to enhance ASHA’s understanding of our membership, ability to strategically create, market, and promote content, and to inform ASHA’s strategic planning.
- Provide support and training to ASHA’s staff on how to utilize advanced analytical tools and models.
- Drive the exploration of new approaches, tools, techniques, and services for data analysis at ASHA.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Bachelor's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or another quantitative field expected
- Master's degree preferred;
- 3-5 years of professional experience;
- At least 2 years in an association or non-profit setting preferred.
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- High degree of experience utilizing Python or R to support the development of advanced analytics;
- 3+ years of experience with relational databases and proficiency in SQL for data extraction;
- 3+ years of experience with predictive analytics and statistical modeling;
- 3+ years of experience with data visualization development including Power BI or Tableau (Power BI preferred);
- Experience with Microsoft Azure environment;
- Ability to build machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, validation, implementation, and evaluation;
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision-makers;
- A strong foundation in the operational needs of associations and non-profits;
- Demonstrated skills in MS-Windows environment and MS-Office (MS-Word and MS-Excel);
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and accurate technical documentation.
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Analytical and technical problem-solving skills;
- Strong attention to detail and concern for data quality and data stewardship;
- Passion to provide data-based analysis and recommendations;
- Curiosity around new and emerging data analysis solutions;
- Ability to easily adapt to changing priorities;
- Strong teamwork skills;
- Strong oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new software applications;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and document user requirements;
- Demonstrated ability to translate user requirements into program specifications.