Direct Support Professional
1. Provides hands-on assistance, instruction, guidance, training and supervision on an individual, small, or large group basis to individuals with developmental disabilities in various settings as your first allegiance is to the person you support. All other activities and functions you perform flow from this allegiance.
2. Respect the human dignity and uniqueness of the people you support. Recognize each person you support as valuable and help others understand their value.
3. Acts as a member of the integrated team, providing feedback, suggestions, for program plans. Assists, as requested, in assessment and evaluation of individual's needs and abilities.
4. Assists in providing a safe environment for the individuals served, through timely reporting of facility or equipment maintenance or replacement needs, as well as participating in building evacuation or fire drills. Helps maintain a sanitary environment of assigned unit, by performing cleaning responsibilities, and routine practice of infection control procedures.
5. Support the emotional, physical, and personal well-being of the individuals receiving support. Encourage growth and recognize the autonomy of the individuals receiving support while being attentive and energetic in reducing their risk of harm.
6. Assists program participants with personal care and hygiene needs as needed, including but not limited to: toileting, dining, showering, dressing, and grooming. Demonstrates appropriate techniques in all physical interactions or interventions including lifting, transferring, positioning or restraining.
7. Meets all recordkeeping and documentation requirements. Establishes and provides clear and legible documentation and compliance records required by FCI and other government agencies. Safeguard and respect the confidentiality and privacy of the people you support.
8. Plans, coordinates and participates in social, recreational, and community activities. Promote and practice justice, fairness, and equity for the people you support and the community as a whole. Affirm the human rights, civil rights and responsibilities of the people you support.
9. Operate motor vehicles as assigned required for agency operations. Provide automobile or van transportation for individuals and/or accompany them on trips using public transportation.
10. Must interact positively with families, service coordinators, and other outside providers while assisting individuals served in developing and maintaining relationships. This includes representing the agency in a positive manner.
11. Advocate with the people you support full community participation. Assist the people you support to direct the course of their own lives.
12. Provide crisis intervention for assigned individuals.
13. As required, establishes and maintains controls for health needs including administering authorized and required medications. May be required to accompany participants to seek medical attention on either an emergency or planned basis.
14. Teaches participants' life skills related to all aspects of their lives which may include money management, shopping, and tasks required to maintain a home when applicable to encourage growth and recognize the autonomy of the individuals receiving support.
15. Obtains Medication Administration Certification within first 90 days of employment. Failure to do so, without a signed exemption, will require a transfer to a position that does not require Medication Administration Certification or termination
16. Must have some degree of flexibility to work at different hours of the day or at alternate locations to meet the needs of those served.
17. Supports the Goals and Mission of Full Citizenship of Maryland.
18. Expected to conduct all agency business. Complete job responsibilities in accordance with agency Code of Conduct.
19. Attends and participates in required FCI meetings, staff development and training programs.
20. Provides other job-related support and services as required or assigned by management.
Apply for Direct Support Professional
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly