American Forest Foundation
The American Forest Foundation seeks a highly motivated candidate to assist the AFF Policy Team in advancing forest carbon incentives and policies at the state and federal level. In the U.S., forests occupy more than 750 million acres and serve as the nation's largest terrestrial carbon sink, capturing carbon and storing it in trees as well as in the forest products that you use every day. Forests represent one of our most promising natural climate solutions.
The Policy Manager will work with the Policy Team and consultants on advancing AFF policy priorities at the state and federal level. The Manager will focus on engaging Members of Congress, state legislators, federal agencies, and stakeholders in a policy strategy that delivers natural climate solutions and advances forest carbon sequestration. The Manager will also be responsible for advancing legislation that supports our conservation work to help family woodland owners sustainably manage their forests to ensure clean water, support quality wildlife habitat, and stimulate local economies.
AFF is a national conservation organization focused exclusively on cultivating these benefits and making sure they are converted into demonstrated value for communities, companies and landowners alike. We do not do this alone. AFF works across a broad coalition of conservation partners, corporations and policymakers to empower family forest landowners and make sure everybody understands and benefits from the essential conservation impact of these forests. So, we invite you to join us. Because all of us need to work together if we’re going to succeed in addressing our country’s most pressing conservation issues. For more information on the American Forest Foundation, please visit www.forestfoundation.org
Success means working in the government policy environment to create the right enabling conditions for family forest owners to manage their land in ways that help them and have a measurable and verifiable globally significant impact on climate change, wildfire risks, biodiversity protection, and many other issues.
What it is like to work with us
AFF is embarking on a bold new strategy for conservation impact across America’s family-owned forests. Our entire organization is in a mode of complex problem solving and rapid iteration. All teams at AFF are working to discover the root challenges in forest conservation issues, create solutions, and adapt based on constant learning, to develop viable and scalable models for impact. AFF is driven by values of our shared purpose, measurable and verifiable results, and learning for continuous improvement to tackle big conservation challenges in climate change mitigation, biodiversity loss, reducing threats of catastrophic wildfires, and ensuring a sustainable resource economy for rural communities.
Some specifics about the job
The Policy Manager will be responsible for ensuring policy supports AFF’s Family Forest Carbon Program and AFF’s regional conservation work. You will provide analytical support and research on specific issues related to carbon, taxation, climate policy, natural climate solutions, and forests as an integral role in the carbon cycle. Track federal policies that focus on climate mitigation goals, wildfire risk reduction, disaster recovery, markets for wood products, and more. You will work alongside an incredible team to advance both federal and state government policy and funding that empowers family forest owners to act on issues like climate change, biodiversity protection, and wildfire risk reduction. We thrive on a collaborative team environment at AFF that seeks to empower each other and the landowners, stakeholders, and customers we serve.
Support regional conservation work by engaging in policy that relates to incentive-based programs, proactive tax policies, and forest product markets. Develop and cultivate relationships with key congressional targets, and government agencies relevant to above noted policy issues. Attend meetings and briefings on behalf of the Executive Vice President as assigned and provides summaries, alerting the EVP of important issues and deadlines. This also includes providing talking points to the CEO, EVP, VPs, and Directors when needed. Oversee all logistics for fly-ins and field tours, in partnership with Policy coordinator. Helps facilitate grass tops engagement and advocacy campaigns that help push decision makers. Through oral and written communication present findings to internal and external stakeholders. This also include participating in and presenting at conferences, events and webinars, and evaluating collaborative opportunities with external organizations. Develop fact sheets, policy memos, and other materials for Hill staff, that represent AFF policy goals and supports organization-wide initiatives. Strong ability to work and build relationships with partners that represent broad interests and engage in coalitions with key stakeholder.
Your First Year
After your first year on AFF’s Policy team, you’ll have built an understanding, always with room for continuous learning, of the critical conservation issues that family forest owners can impact and how we can leverage government policy and funding tools to empower family forest owners to achieve even greater conservation impact that also meets their needs.
- You will have built reliable, collaborative, trust-based relationships with your AFF colleagues, in addition to coalition partners, family forest owners, and key contacts in the Administration and on Capitol Hill.
- You will have developed a nuanced understanding of AFF’s federal policy priorities, as well as the most effective legislative and regulatory pathways to achieving those priorities; you will also have the acumen to know when a change in advocacy strategy and/or tactics is necessary and how to best execute such a change.
- You will have made progress toward advancing AFF’s current federal forest carbon policy goals, in addition to identifying and prioritizing additional opportunities for AFF to provide thought leadership, influence policy outcomes, and deliver positive results for family forest owners.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- We are a high energy, passionate group of advocates who are always looking for policy opportunities to have the greatest impact. You’ll join a team that works collaboratively, is always willing to lend a hand, and values getting it done.
- Your contributions and leadership will be appreciated. Our staff is passionate, dedicated, and good at what they do and will be deeply appreciative of your efforts to create and preserve an environment that is both fun and fair.
- We offer a flexible work environment that respects your life outside of work.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- AFF offers a comprehensive and very competitive benefits package.
- The ideal candidate will be based in at our Washington, DC national headquarters.
Qualifications and Experience that will help you succeed
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, communications or marketing field preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience
- Experience analyzing policy issues in climate, energy or related fields
- Demonstrated ability to successfully implement program initiatives
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience working effectively with volunteers and staff
- (Items specific to individual job)
- Both personable and flexible with the ability to work under pressure and adapt based on what is learned through experience
- A sound work ethic with the ability to act both independently and as part of a team
- Strong initiative; a self-starter with tenacity, resilience, and high energy
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a wide variety of constituencies, including co-workers, business and community leaders, partners, donors, board members, volunteers, public officials, and the public at large, in a wide variety of settings
- A client service orientation
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to effectively plan and problem solve
- Results-oriented with a keen understanding of the steps necessary to achieve goals on deadline and within budget
- Time management skills, with the ability to prioritize, coordinate and manage multiple priorities
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed
We know there are great candidates who may not check all these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we have not considered. If that applies to you, do not hesitate to apply, and tell us about yourself.
We are committed to creating a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted as resumes are received. To apply, please follow links provided on this site.