Director of State Affairs
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires all new employees to present proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 when they start work. Currently, “fully vaccinated” is defined as someone that has received both doses of the Pfizer/Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 14 days or more before they begin work. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
This position is responsible for the identification, development, and management of strategic activities related to state legislation, state legislative proposals, state regulations, and state administrative actions for the purposes of advancing ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda on behalf of the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology, as well as activities that support affiliated state association advocacy initiatives consistent with ASHA’s established policies
- Collaborates on identifying, developing, executing, and evaluating coordinated advocacy strategies designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Responsible for tracking and responding to state legislative and regulatory developments that impact ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Oversees rapid analysis of relevant state legislation, state legislative proposals, state regulations, and state administrative actions.
- Facilitates and coordinates the development of analyses, issue briefs, letters, testimony, and regulatory comments on state legislation, state legislative proposals, state regulations and administrative actions that are designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda – done in collaboration with the Director of Health Care and Education Policy as needed.
- Establishes and maintains strategic relationships with affiliated state associations, and provides affiliated state associations with strategic advocacy assistance, planning, and support; assigns liaisons from the State Affairs Team to each affiliated state association.
- Identifies, develops, maintains, and leverages strategic relationships with relevant staff of external organizations, including coalitions, in accordance with relevant ASHA policies.
- Collaborates on strategic communications, messaging, and grassroots materials that are designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda. Develops articles and other products for online and print communications.
- Supports ASHA’s Chief Advocacy Officer as needed; Serves on the GAPP Leadership Team; Responsible for budget and planning activities of the State Affairs Team, and coaches the Team’s members.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Advanced degree in communications sciences, political science, government, public policy or a related field.
- 8 years of experience in state advocacy in health care or education policies at an association or corporation
- Previous management or coaching experience, including team planning and budgeting.
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability in strategic policy analysis and development activities
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality and impactful analyses, issue briefs, letters, testimony, regulatory comments, model legislative language, and related products
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with state-based associations and providing strategic advocacy support
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strategic relationships with policymakers and allied stakeholders
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of state legislative and regulatory processes
- Working knowledge of health care or education policies that impact ASHA is desirable
- Working knowledge of communication sciences and disorders is desirable
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Strong collaborative and facilitative leadership skills.
- Strong mentorship skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize, and execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and a creative approach to work.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve consensus when opposing viewpoints are presented.