Sr. Backup and Recovery Engineer, IT Engineer
Sr. Backup and Recovery Engineer, IT Engineer
Position #: 106406
The University of Maryland College Park is a dynamic, wonderful institution. As a member of the Big10, UMD has partnerships and access to a wide range of resources and information. The Division of Information Technology is a key unit on our campus and a leader in technological advancement and professional growth through our use of modern technology that enhances our services to campus.
The Senior IT Engineer will be the subject matter expert, providing leadership in critical areas of backup and archive technologies, workflows, security and integrations. You will evaluate and provide detailed technical analysis and solutions and will work with the group manager and colleagues to establish the strategic direction of those technologies.
The IT Senior Engineer will work towards data protection modernization in multi-cloud environments, such as AWS, Azure and Vmware on-premise clouds. As such, this position must be able to use tools and applications that complement several different storage and backup platforms and is adept at learning and utilizing new technologies for continuous improvement of IT services.
The IT Senior Engineer will also ensure that proper metrics and analytical data is developed to support decision-making activities. The incumbent will implement and enforce proper data management and access policies as dictated by UMD IT security policies.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- At least 7 years experience in supporting data protection and archiving workflows and pipelines for medium to large organizations with a diverse user base.
- Advanced experience with data protection and archiving workflows in virtualization and cloud infrastructure systems such as VMware and AWS is critical to this position.
- Moderate system administration experience with Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate high-level project requirements, level-of-effort analysis and timelines to manage expectations effectively with project team members, stakeholders and management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong foundational knowledge of storage and backup infrastructure platforms such as AWS S3, Azure Blobs and related functionality like replication and snapshots.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP network topologies and able to troubleshoot and communicate effectively with network administrators on application requirements and troubleshooting analysis.
- Able to integrate centralized identity access management tools such as Active Directory, Shibboleth or OpenLDAP with infrastructure applications.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service and presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate certification or other public cloud certification
- Experience managing work priorities through Agile project management methods
Additional information: This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Salary range: $105,000 - $127,000
Physical demands: Predominantly operates in an office environment. Must be able to occasionally go to the physical data center(s) to manage hardware installations, decommissioning, administration and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of data center equipment. Must have the ability to walk short distances. Available to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
Best consideration date: 06/22/2022 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/96215
Vaccine protocol: The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.