GPO’s mission is Keeping America Informed as the official, digital, and secure source for producing, preserving, and distributing official Federal Government publications and information products for Congress, Federal agencies, and the American public. As a Production Technician (Bindery Machine Operator), you will work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, providing other agencies with innovative services for the printing, publishing, storage, and distribution of digital content. GPO is located in Washington, D.C. just blocks from the U.S. Capitol and one block from Union Station which is a mixed-use, intermodal transportation and shopping center serviced by MARC, VRE, Amtrak, and Metro Red Line trains.
This Federal position starts at $39 hourly with great benefits and training. If you have a high-school degree (or equivalent) and an aptitude for mechanics, GPO is the place for you.
- Assists in starting equipment via touch screen, adjusts and helps operate a variety of automatic bindery machines containing multiple functions and station capabilities.
- Assists in combining electro-mechanically with other equipment and devices to produce a complete bindery and finishing unit that processes printed sheets into final books, catalogs, manuals, directories, magazines, or other completed products.
- Assists in making needed adjustments to coordinate the multiple workstations on a single machine.
- Observes how to interpret job orders, which may be for one-of-a-kind materials; documents how to plan bindery operations utilizing the most efficient procedures and methods to meet job requirements to complete a combined finishing operation.
- Shadows Bindery Operators in inspecting the work-in-process throughout the manufacturing process of U.S. Passports, Passport related components, Smart Cards, and Smart Card related components.
This position is a career ladder and pays $39.01 per hour the 1st year, $41.30 during the 2nd year, $43.60 the 3rd year, and then the full rate of $45.89 starting the 4th year. Plus any annual raises per the wage agreement.
Resumes for Federal jobs require more details than private sector resumes. Please ensure you read the job announcement carefully and include all the information requested on your resume.
Forbes - GPO Named One of the Best Employers in America