Director of Development
HALF-TIME / 20 HOURS PER WEEK
The Alexandria Library Foundation is seeking a Director of Development to lead the planning and implementation of both a short-term and long-term fundraising program to increase philanthropic revenue from individuals, corporations, associations, and foundations. The Director of Development will lead all aspects of fundraising strategies and operations for the Alexandria Library Foundation, and will strengthen and facilitate relationships with current and future supporters, solicit contributions on behalf of the Foundation, and expand a community of philanthropic donors who share a belief in the mission of the Alexandria Library.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in an initial scoping discussion with the Foundation Board and the Alexandria Library Director to understand the challenges and goals of the Library’s current fundraising landscape.
- Review current list of donors and giving strategies to determine realistic goals and growth projections for 2022-2023 and to present findings to the Foundation Board.
- Based on determined goals and growth projections, develop and implement a fundraising strategy and action plan for the near and long term.
- Identify, initiate introductions, and build relationships with prospective major donors and individual small donors.
- Manage and track donor information.
- Assess internal and external capacity for an 85th anniversary campaign, including a possible gala or large-scale event. Present findings and recommendations to the Foundation Board.
- Update donors on Alexandria Library’s impacts in its community
LOCATION AND WORK CONDITIONS
The Director of Development will have office space, an e-mail account, and a telephone in the Beatley Library, with access to other key staff, including the Senior Communications Officer, the Division Chief/Administrative Services, and other staff as needed.
The Foundation will allocate money for development software, membership in relevant organizations, hosting potential large donors, printing, business cards, and other expenses. It is expected that the Development Officer will have their own computer with sufficient capacity and software to manage the donor database, spreadsheets, and word processing.
This is a new position that will begin as soon as the successful candidate is selected. The Director of Development will work 20 hours a week, with a flexible schedule. S/he will report to and work closely with the Alexandria Library Foundation President, and receive guidance from the Alexandria Library Foundation Board. Some of the work may be done remotely.
$3,400 - $3,800/month, on an initial contract of 6 months. At the end of the 6-month contract, achievements will be reviewed with the possibility of an extension if the approach has been successful and sustainable.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Experience working with libraries or other public institutions or non-profits on fundraising strategies.
- Experience organizing galas or other fundraising events.
- Strong oral, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with the Alexandria Library administrative team and also to work independently.
- High energy and passion for Alexandria Library Foundation’s mission.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with development software.
- Knowledge of local area.
- Experience with social media and Constant Contact.
For best consideration, apply by June 15. Send your resume and cover letter describing your background and experience and explaining why you are applying for this position, and names of two references. Send by e-mail with the subject line “Director of Development” to firstname.lastname@example.org.