Communications and Development Associate
- Full Time
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, other disabilities and learning challenges. For over 40 years, the combination of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg, Largo and Landover, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12.
The mission of The Foundation Schools is to provide a highly specialized educational and therapeutic program for students preparing them to be productive and successful in their future academic and career paths. The Foundation Schools employs special education strategies and techniques to provide quality instruction that results in the students’ mastery of approved curriculum and that promotes social, emotional and cognitive learning. We effectively manage student behavior through implementation of behavior management systems, school rules and policies.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
The Communications and Development Associate provides administrative and project support for the fundraising, marketing and public relations functions of the organization to achieve the goals of the Development Department. The Communications and Development Associate has the primary responsibility for managing the department’s databases, mailing lists, software programs, and the expansion and maintenance of a social media presence and website content. The Communications and Development Associate provides support to the Senior Communications and Development Associate on grant writing and reporting, creation of marketing materials and publications for the organization. The Communications and Development Associate participates in planning, organizing and attending fundraising events and develops relationships with internal and external stakeholders to maximize the effectiveness of the department and to help meet the needs of our students.
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt employee
SUPERVISION: Communications and Development Associate reports to the Senior Communications & Development Associate
QUALIFICATIONS - Education, Experience and Certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or other related field is preferred Two years or more years of administrative experience required Experience in project management, fundraising, marketing or public relations preferred Excellent written and verbal communication skills with attention to detail and follow-through Experience working with a variety of social media and fundraising platforms Experience researching, writing and editing grants preferred
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participate in the development and execution of departmental strategy to cultivate donors, corporate support, win grants, and develop new sources of support to reach fundraising goals
- Assist the Senior Communications and Development Associate with all aspects of donor cultivation
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of all gifts and acknowledgement letters and other donor communications
- Participate in creation, planning, content, and marketing strategy for publications
- Maintain a calendar for donor communications
- Ensure website and social media content is up-to-date, relevant, timely, and accurate; manage the organization’s presence on social media
- Coordinate online giving campaigns
- Research foundations, corporations, and government funding opportunities; maintain an accurate list of grant prospects
- Assist with the coordination of grant proposals and report submissions; collect data needed for proposals and reports
- Manage grant records and foundation contacts in the department database and filing system
- Provide assistance with planning, promoting, and coordinating fundraising events; communicate with vendors, donors, and other contacts as requested by the Senior Development Associate
- Manage and maintain accurate records and event-related documents including participant notification and follow-up, hospitality and onsite management; coordinate all data entry related to events
- Produce gift reports on a regular basis and reconcile with the Finance Department quarterly
- Demonstrates leadership by planning, preparing and leading small events/meeting as assigned and representing the organization at community events
- Process the development office mailings including the annual report, newsletters, and other publications; manage and maintain mailing lists
- Provide administrative assistance as required to the Senior Communications and Development Associate and CEO as needed
- Assist the Senior Communications and Development Associate to execute events and marketing by acting as a liaison to print vendors, graphic designers, and other consultants for additional publications/projects as needed
- Assist in gathering statistical data and outcomes with other designated staff to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information to various internal and external stakeholders
- Represent The Foundation Schools at off-site fundraising events, school activities, and development related trainings
- Actively participate in and keep accurate records of all Development and Benefit Committee meetings
- Consistently model and implement the company’s core values to incorporate Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect and Leadership into positive behaviors while at work.
- Comply with all Foundation Schools’ policies, rules, protocols and procedures