IT Engineer, Data Engineer
IT Engineer, Data Engineer
Position #: 127092
The Division of Information Technology is seeking a qualified Data Engineer to support the Academic Technology Experience team (ATEX), which provides leadership and management of enterprise-wide initiatives related to student, faculty, and staff experiences with technologies. This is a full-time position and will report to the Senior Data Scientist. The ATEX team employs a quantitative, program evaluation-based approach to provide evidence-based insights, guidance, and recommendations concerning the use and efficacy of DIT systems and services. The incumbent will support this work by interfacing closely with the Senior Data Scientist and the Enterprise Data Services team to support the creation and maintenance of data pipelines (database and supporting infrastructure and applications) for data related to academic technology usage overseen by the Division.
The Data Engineer will be responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of new ETL processes. This includes using cloud-based technologies, establishing best practices and procedures for ETL development, implementing ETL processes, and documentation. The Data Engineer will collaborate with the Enterprise Data Services (EDS) team on a regular basis to ensure that data solutions are aligned with the University’s overall data strategy and security requirements.
The emphasis of this position is the technical hands-on activities for the creation and evolution of new ETL processes to support the Academic Technology Experience (ATEX) group as well as other DIT initiatives and campus clients. The Data Engineer will work closely with the ATEX Senior Data Scientist to understand data needs and develop requirements. Of utmost importance is the ability to select and implement the appropriate ETL or ELT techniques and storing all data as structured files for subsequent usage in a data warehouse or Big Data analysis; prior successful ETL implementations and experience are essential, as is SQL experience. Clear communication, demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to collaborate with non-technical stakeholders, create clear and concise technical documentation, and make critical decisions are requirements to be successful in this position.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems, or related discipline.
- 2-4 years of experience in designing, implementing and maintaining ETL processes. including experience with SQL.
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws;
- Skill in technical support documentation;
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products;
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language;
- Ability to work collaboratively with technical and non-technical stakeholders;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, and in writing;
- Ability to independently to complete and build on assigned tasks;
- Comfortable working with occasional minimal guidance and varied job duties;
- Ability to persuade and lead others to think critically in discussions;
- Must be self-motivated, energetic, detail oriented and a team player.
- Willingness and desire to learn
- The ideal candidate will have experience working with data from a variety of sources and in a variety of formats.
- Experience with various ETL platforms, ideally including Informatica.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages (Python, R, Java, Scala), ideally Python
- Experience with or interest in educational data mining.
- Experience with Linux.
- Experience with JSON.
- Experience with APIs.
- Experience with Amazon Redshift or other MPP database platforms.
- Experience using AWS for data applications (e.g., EC2, Lambda, S3, Redshift, RDS, Data Pipeline)
- Experience with streaming data.
- Experience with data related Monitoring tools.
- Experience with Business Intelligence Tools (e.g., Tableau).
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
Best consideration date: 06/13/2022 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/95936
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.