Tax Accountant (WFH Hybrid)
We are passionate about bringing cool, authentic restaurants to airports that represent a taste of place.
The Tax Accountant will manage the accurate preparation and filing of SSP’s taxes for multiple entities across the US and Canada. This role manages the tax team to greater performance, creates and implements tax plans and works with the accounting teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk. You will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulations and make the appropriate updates to policies and tax rates. The Tax Accountant is single minded in their pursuit of ensuring compliance and achieves this goal through optimizing reporting procedures and driving the successful function of the tax team. The position reports directly to the Tax Manager and is based at our Corporate Support Center in Ashburn, VA. Position is Hybrid - requires three (3) days on-site and two (2) days WFH.
- Facilitate and manage the preparation, review, and the accurate, timely filing of all tax forms for multiple U.S. and Canadian entities. This would include Sales & Use Taxes, Personal Property Taxes, Franchise and Corporation Taxes, and other Business-related Taxes, using Vertex Software.
- Work with outside tax accounting firms to ensure timely filing of returns for Sales and Use, Income and Property Tax.
- Plan for and develop overall return calendar and coordinate timing and inputs with tax team.
- Research various sales tax matters for U.S./Canada issues
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process; make improvements and/or recommendations when needed
- Prepare sales tax registrations as needed using Vertex, SAP and other software
- Manage and facilitate State tax audits
- Conduct Use Tax Analysis and implement opportunities for process improvement
- Conduct research to identify any tax-savings opportunities
- Prepare Balance Sheet Reconciliations for Tax-related General Ledger accounts for month‐end and year‐end closings, ensuring completeness and accuracy
- Develop good working relationships with business units and accounting peers to effectively and efficiently complete tax projects and to identify sales tax issues
- Manage project of acquiring and implementing sales tax engine
- Perform ad hoc reporting, special projects, and other duties as assigned by Manager
Skills & Other Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 2 - 4 (two to four) years successful tax and accounting experience
- Proficiency in Vertex (Tax software)
- Experience Preparing and filing Sales and Use Tax Return
- Strong knowledge of tax code, compliance and procedures for corporations
- Knowledge of federal, state and local reporting requirements for U.S. and Canada
- Experience with SAP/Macros software preferred
- Strong accounting, analytical, and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with strong business acumen
- Ability to work well independently and with stakeholders
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), with emphasis on Excel capabilities
- Detail oriented & ability to multi-task
SSP America is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against team members and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, protected U.S. military or veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, union activity or any other bases protected by law. All SSP America, Inc. employees, other workers and representatives are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination.