Risk & Insurance Manager- AURA
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is a non-profit organization whose role is to establish, build, nurture, and promote outstanding astronomical observatories and facilities that advance science and innovative research. AURA carries out the work through astronomical Centers, located in five states and two countries (USA and Chile), and staffed by 1,500 employees. Primary funding for AURA’s activities comes from the National Science Foundation and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. AURA engages with the broader astronomical community through its Member Institutions: 46 US universities and research institutes, as well as 4 international affiliates.
We are looking for a Risk & Insurance Manager for administering AURA’s insurance programs, negotiations & renewals and risk mitigation. As a member of our leadership team, you will work under the direction of the VP of Operations. Your primary responsibility will includes full delegation and authority to communicate, problem-solve, and negotiate with the insurance brokers to manage AURA’s insurance programs, including those of our affiliates (LSST, WIYN, and SOAR). Hybrid work- located in Baltimore MD.
- Identifies potential risk exposures, recommends solutions, implements approved programs, promotes loss prevention, and monitors compliance.
- Gathers and analyzes data, prepares reports, conducts meetings, and informs the VP of Operations about any significant developments
- Assists with the management and review of the underwriting process by identifying acceptable risk and recommending the provision of insurance coverages in accordance with developed protocols for property/casualty and underwriting programs
- Participates in management and review of insurance coverages and as needed notifies the insurance carrier of actual or potential claims
- Assists in ascertaining coverages, claims histories and any other relevant information to make appropriate underwriting decisions
- Develops, implements, and maintains processes to prevent losses to employees, visitors, and staff; and property and facilities by:
- Assist in the development and implementation of loss control policies and procedures
- Coordinating insurer property/casualty loss control surveys to identify exposures
- Assists in development, and implementation of loss prevention programs- education/ training/ compliance
- Builds and maintains relationships with AURA’s managers and employees and brokerage contacts to build trust as insurance expert.
Experience and Qualifications:
Seven (7) years of experience in risk financing, claims administration, loss prevention, risk and insurance coverage analysis, or purchasing commercial lines of insurance. Have requirements of a “Qualified Risk Manager” as described by the National Risk Retention Association (NRRA).
The position offers great compensation, comprehensive benefits package, relocation assistance and outstanding retirement. AURA sponsors hybrid work in Baltimore, MD.
To apply, use the link below to complete on-line application. Please upload a resume and a cover letter highlighting your interest in this role and describe any of the following – experience working in an international or multi-site organization, federal government facilities/property and/or any construction projects.
Applications received by June 10, 2022 will receive priority consideration.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. AURA and all of its centers recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity.
AURA sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to build a top-notch scientific community. We reflect that deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V