Functional Title: Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
Category: Exempt Regular
Location: The Universities at Shady Grove, Rockville, MD 20850
Posting Date: 05/20/2022
Closing Date: 06/20/2022
The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs from nine Maryland public universities on one convenient campus in Montgomery County. USG helps prepare students for rewarding careers in the region’s most high-demand fields. Students who successfully complete their coursework on the USG campus graduate with a degree from one of its nine partner universities. Through on-campus services such as academic coaching, career advising, internship preparation, personal counseling, and leadership training, students leave the USG campus with the academic skills and real-world experiences needed for successful careers.
The Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (CDEIO) is a newly created leadership position at USG. The Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer will serve as USG’s staff Equity Administrator. The CDEIO reports directly to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the Executive Council, working with other senior leaders to develop and drive forward the key strategies of USG. The CDEIO leads USG’s commitment and strategy to be a diverse, antiracist, equitable, and inclusive organization. The CDEIO will take the lead in setting and implementing an overarching vision of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) that eliminates marginalization and promote inclusive practices that will be evidenced through USG’s structures, customs, and leadership. The CDEIO will develop, review and implement equity-oriented processes and policies and provide support and consultation related to diversity, equity and inclusion programming and training to members of the USG Community. This position requires an inspiring, collaborative, courageous and innovative leader with outstanding people and management skills. The CDEIO will build and oversee a Diversity Equity Inclusion unit (DEI) and strengthen and leverage DEI relationships with academic partners.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university; Required Experience:
- 8-10 years of experience designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity related initiatives; 3-5 years in a leadership role focused on the advancement of equity and inclusion. To include supervision of professional staff.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex talent management and equity issues;
- Knowledge and experience with ADA and EEO related issues;
- Experience working with HR on recruitment, hiring, and onboarding activities in a higher education setting;
- Relevant professional certifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working with marginalized or underrepresented communities;
- Experience developing strong, collaborative partnerships across a complex multi-institution system;
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing social justice, environmental issues, and a commitment to achieving equity, and inclusion for all;
- Growing knowledge of important DEI-related historical events, racial justice movements, and antiracist beliefs as well as an understanding of how they affected those communities/any important consequences thereof;
- Experience authoring and presenting executive summaries and annual reports especially related to DEI components of an organization’s strategic plan;
- Strong leadership skills to develop and motivate a DEI team;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and model strong professional ethics;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated bilingual abilities;
- Track record of evidence based (data informed) decision making;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Proficient in database analytics, including ad-hoc reporting, and statistical analysis.
Professional Office Environment. Prolonged use of computer. Extended period of sitting and/or standing and talking. Ability to lift 20+ lbs. Occasional travel.
This position is located in Rockville, MD.
To apply for this position, please visit https://ejobs.umd.edu