Public Relations Specialist
Public Relations Specialist
Create and implement communications and media relations strategies for major Association initiatives and announcements; initiate and manage contacts with the news media; co-edit news blog; lead APHA’s Facebook page and YouTube channel; and write and develop materials to support communications program to advance the mission, policies and priorities of the Association. Responsibilities for the Press/Media relations:
• Develop and carry out press strategies that support the overall goals of APHA. Develop and maintain contacts with journalists, columnists, editors and producers who cover public health. Respond rapidly to media inquiries, fulfill requests, arrange interviews and develop talking points.
• Write, edit and distribute news releases, advisories, statements, op-eds and other materials, and post to the website.
• Alert key media to urgent public health-related policy and legislative activity.
• Identify news opportunities and develop and pitch story ideas to journalists involving APHA policies, programs and products, including the Annual Meeting, National Public Health Week, the Policy Action Institute and other though leadership activities.
• Manage media outreach for American Journal of Public Health; lead media strategy to raise the profile of the Journal; issue monthly featured abstracts and table of contents; coordinate embargo dates with staff, authors and press; fulfill reporter requests for articles.
• Serve as lead on APHA’s Social Media Team, helping the organization strategize, develop content for different channels and stay current on trends and best practices.
• Plan social media strategy for APHA advocacy and events. Create social media materials to support a range of APHA announcements and events.
• Serve as administrator for APHA’s Facebook page and APHA’s YouTube channel.
• Research and write blogs and articles for Public Health Newswire and other channels.
• Part of APHA’s Editorial Review team, helping review organization materials for grammar, AP style and APHA voice.
• Work on other Communications and Marketing Department assignments and projects as needed.
The position will supervise the Communications intern. Perform other duties as assigned based on needs of the department and the Association.
Bachelor’s degree and four to five years of public/media relations, journalism or communications experience. Health/public health background a plus. Strong verbal and written communication skills with excellent grammar, editorial, proofreading and AP style skills. Strong social media skills, especially with Facebook and YouTube. Experience developing communications plans. Personal presence and ability to work with the news media and meet deadlines. Experience in seeking coverage for or communicating on behalf of national advocacy/public interest policy efforts. Ability to manage multiple projects at once with attention to detail and follow-through concurrently to meet overlapping deadlines. Strong initiative. Works well independently, but participates actively as a team member and can collaborate with a variety of functional groups and communicate constructively with others. Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends as job duties or projects require. Requires occasional lifting and moving up to 25 lbs.
Vaccination Policy: New Hires and Employees must adhere to APHA COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate Policy.
Position is based in downtown DC near several metro stations. Hybrid work environment.
Hours: 35 hours a week, full-time, Monday ¬ Friday (daytime). Number of openings: 1.
Applicants who meet the requirements and are interested in being considered for this position should submit the following information (please include your last name in all filenames when uploading materials. You should use this format: LastName.CoverLetter) at: https://careers-apha.icims.com.
• Cover letter;
• A writing sample;
• Salary requirement;
• At least 2 supervisory references and 1 professional reference (name, title, company name and phone number and email).
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
EEO/AA/VETS/DISABILITY. APHA is strongly and actively committed to diversity in its workplace.