Manager of Community Engagement
Manager of Community Engagement
Headquarters - Walter Reed, WASHINGTON, DC, US
Housing Up builds thriving communities in Washington, DC by developing affordable housing and offering comprehensive support services to homeless and low-income families. We believe that people who have safe, affordable housing and genuine opportunities are empowered to transform their lives. Established in 1990, Housing Up has grown from serving 13 families to more than 900 throughout the District.
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Philanthropy & Communications, the Manager of Community Engagement manages all aspects of Housing Up’s volunteer programs, community engagement outreach and in-kind donations. The position serves as a member of the philanthropy team and should be prepared as necessary to serve across functions toward fulfillment of department goals.
Volunteer Recruitment & Management
- Assesses the need for volunteers with resident services staff
- Recruits, trains, and coordinates volunteers
- Organizes and supervises service day opportunities for volunteer groups
- Works in partnership with the Director of Resident Services to hire and manage seasonal community engagement interns
- Helps the philanthropy team coordinate with Housing Up’s associate board members
- Creates and maintains tracking system for volunteers via Bloomerang
In-Kind Donations Management
- Manages solicitation, pick-up, documentation and distribution of in-kind donations
- Organizes back to school backpack drive and Christmas gifts solicitation and distribution
- Coordinates food deliveries to Housing Up’s affordable housing communities
- Engage and develop relationships with client families
- Develops outreach plan for existing and potential community and corporate partners/donors and serves as the primary contact
- Works with the Director of Resident Services as the lead coordinator in the planning and execute on of on-site and virtual community events, including on-site event management
- Serves as liaison at coalition group meetings and to coalition group campaigns/advocacy efforts
- Coordinates projects for university students in community service-learning programs
- Strengthens Housing Up’s profile in the community through partnerships with other nonprofit organizations, government agencies and corporate entities
Educational & Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum three years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of MS Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook and Google apps
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- May require some weekend and evening hours
- Travel within the Washington, DC community is required
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required, as well as proof of auto insurance
- Comfortable speaking in public and facilitating training and events
- Volunteer or Service Learning Experience a plus
- AmeriCorps and Peace Corps Alums encouraged to apply
Salary and Benefits
Salary $48,000 (Depending on qualifications and experience)
This position is eligible for a $2,000 sign-on bonus!
Housing Up offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave, and commuter benefits.
Housing Up has made the safety of our clients, staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the organization that all are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at Housing Up, you will be required to comply with the organizations vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any Housing Up location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement from human resources and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Housing Up is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.