Executive Administrative Assistant to the Senior Rabbi
Congregation Beth El is seeking a hyper-organized person with strong administrative, operational, and project management skills as our Executive Administrative Assistant. The position is a critical and trusted leadership role as the right-hand person to the Senior Rabbi and the Associate Rabbi. This position helps drive strategic projects throughout the organization while building and maintaining key relationships. Reporting to the Senior Rabbi, the position works in a variety of areas related to the synagogue’s operations and is responsible for managing the orderly and professional functioning of the offices of the Senior Rabbi and the Associate Rabbi. An important responsibility of this key role is to support the rabbis with correspondence, manage responsiveness, emails, and other priorities. As the first person who often communicates with the public, this position has a vital role in cultivating and maintaining a positive public image for Congregation Beth El and the rabbis.
Essential job duties include the following.
- Proactively track and manage the rabbis' projects, tasks, and deadlines.
- Assess and prioritize the rabbis' communications and meetings with congregants.
- Provide general administrative support.
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendar.
- Manage pastoral care such as respond to requests, track progress and follow-through, organize notes, create call lists, schedule visits.
- Manage lifecycle and pastoral correspondence such as congratulations, condolences, births, anniversaries, illness, and deaths.
- Provide support and arrange logistics for meetings and classes.
- Draft, proof, and edit written communications.
- Screen and direct incoming calls and visitors.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate has the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Preferably 5 years of experience with demonstrated success in an executive support environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to organize others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and to maintain confidential information.
- Strong capability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and to manage multiple projects simultaneously and with confidence.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Zoom, and the ability to quickly learn the synagogue's databases and master new technology.
- Familiarity with Jewish practices and holidays.
- Preferably a college degree.
This full-time position is located in Congregation Beth El’s office in Bethesda, Maryland.
This position is eligible for paid vacation leave; paid sick leave; and paid holidays on most Jewish and secular holidays. In addition, the position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug insurance coverage; a healthcare savings account; a retirement plan, group-term life insurance coverage, and group long-term disability insurance coverage. Congregation Beth El also provides paid maternity and paternity leave. Full-time employees may enroll their children at Beth El Preschool and Beth El Religious School with tuition waived.
Congregation Beth El is a synagogue whose members—guided by Judaism—pray, learn, celebrate, and find comfort together as a community, discover meaning and purpose in their lives, and improve the world.
Interested individuals should send a resume as well as a cover letter that describes the person’s specific skills and abilities that are most relevant to this position. No phone calls please.