Communications and Educational Outreach Coordinator
Communications and Educational Outreach Coordinator (Full-Time Employee)
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent for the United States Foreign Service, seeks a Communications and Educational Outreach Coordinator to work within its Communications department at its Washington, D.C. headquarters. The position includes flexible telework but the incumbent must be in the office a minimum of 2 days a week. Applications will be accepted until COB June 3, 2022. The start date will be as soon as possible.
- Annualized salary of $50,000 - $55,000.00 across 26 pay periods, depending on experience. Optional telework up to 3 days a week. Full time employees have access to Healthcare and Retirement benefits package. Subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision insurance Disability (short and long), Life, and AD&D Insurance paid in full by AFSA. 401(k) and/or Roth 401(k) with up to 5% matching Paid Sick, Vacation and Parental leave.
The Position and Its Principal Responsibilities
The incumbent will support and report to the Senior Communications and Awards and Scholarships Managers, as well as general projects within the communications department.
- Assist communications team in developing and implementing a communications strategy designed to further AFSA objectives.
- Write, edit, and layout content for a variety of internal and external communications channels, such as intranet, newsletters, email bulletins, etc.
- Assist in compiling and sorting applicants for the AFSA scholarship program and High School Essay Contest.
- Research and outreach related to AFSA’s educational programming with an eye towards increasing (?) partner coordination, content management, and expansion of current programs.
- Work with Awards and Scholarships Manager to conduct market research on the efficacy of various outreach initiatives and aid with biographical research on various award recipients.
- Assist with the organizing and judging of AFSA Performance and Dissent Awards, Scholarships, and High School Essay Contest.
- Prepare meeting materials and reports for AFSA Governing Board Committees.
- Help manage AFSA events including annual awards ceremonies, speaker events, and other related activities.
- Aid in the creation and editing of various graphic/web design elements.
- Assist with media relations and compile news and related to the Foreign Service for amplification through AFSA’s network.
- Coordinate with AFSA’s strategic communications manager to develop social media content production and assist with strategy
Competencies and Characteristics:
- High-level research and writing skills and the ability to brief clearly and concisely.
- Excellent organizational ability.
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize multiple projects after obtaining guidance.
- Familiarity with the organization of data, including spreadsheets.
- Light coding knowledge (Basic HTML .and SQL)
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Forward thinking and planning ability.
- Bachelor’s degree or High School/GED + 4 years of relevant experience required.
- Graduate Degree preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and high proficiency in conducting virtual events via online platforms such as Zoom and Teams.
- Knowledge of email marketing software such as Informz or a similar program
- Proven knowledge of communications and marketing ethics and best practices
- Ability to use CommunityForce and Sales Force software also preferable.
- Familiarity with the Foreign Service a plus.
- Must be able to lift 25lb
**Due to COVID-19 and AFSA’s hard re-opening on March 1, 2022, the incumbent is required to have proof of full COVID-19 vaccination for employment and building entry. AFSA will consider reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons.**
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), created in 1924, is the professional association for the U.S. Foreign Service. AFSA’s 16,800 members include active and retired Foreign Service officers and specialists primarily at the Department of State as well as at the U.S. Agency for International Development, the Foreign Agricultural Service, the Foreign Commercial Service, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, and the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
AFSA is also a labor union, serving as the exclusive representative of members of the Foreign Service. AFSA negotiates with the management of the principal U.S. Government foreign affairs agencies on personnel policies and practices affecting members’ working conditions, and represents members in formal grievance proceedings, office of security and inspector general investigations, disciplinary proceedings, and EEO cases.
For more information about AFSA, please go to www.afsa.org.
Please email a detailed cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified in this position and your resume, along with a brief writing sample.
Apply for Communications and Educational Outreach Coordinator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly