Marketing & Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Development and External Affairs
Exempt Status: Exempt
Work Schedule: Full-Time
Approved on: March 11, 2022
Bright Beginnings, Inc. is non-profit organization that operates early childhood and family learning centers for families experiencing homelessness. Our mission is to meet the needs of children and families living in homeless environments by: providing children with a safe, nurturing educational environment; preparing children to enter kindergarten ready to learn; and supporting homeless parents to stabilize their home lives and become self-sufficient.
Summary: The Marketing and Communications Manager effectively tells the story and successes of Bright Beginnings to donors, foundations, funders, volunteers and supporters across all communication channels. This individual will oversee the development of goals, strategies, and implementation plans to execute comprehensive marketing campaigns. The Marketing and Communications Manager must have a passion for writing and a creative eye for developing new content. The incumbent will promote the creation, enhancement and development of programs to promote Bright Beginnings Inc. and its services. This is a hybrid position - both remote and in-office work required.
- Initiate research, development, and implementation of new marketing programs, including direct mail, social media marketing, workshops, advertisements, sales tools and other initiatives.
- Develop and promote branding initiatives consistent with organization goals and objectives.
- Ensure all programs, services, and other offerings conform to brand identity; conduct ongoing brand management.
- Work with creative staff and other department heads to produce marketing collateral in accordance with brand messages.
- Develop marketing plans within budget requirements.
- Manage the organization’s website; create new pages as needed; monitor website engagement using analytics.
- Develop social media marketing strategies that reflect organizational values, goals dictated by grants, and facilitate public engagement; facilitate and monitor online communication
- Collaborate with all departments to identify internal and external customer needs.
- Communicate and negotiate with organizational partners as needed for joint marketing activities.
- Develop, manage and execute an annual strategic marketing and communications plan for BBI to span across all communication media (online and offline) and reach appropriate target audiences, based upon specific performance goals.
- Evaluate the success of various communication strategies and provide and implement recommendations for improvement.
- Analyze potential new media to enhance the marketing/communications work of BBI.
- Develop, manage and produce materials to create a cohesive image and message for print and all offline communication vehicles.
- Ensure that all materials are developed and distributed according to an appropriate timeline.
- Oversee the development, management and maintenance of all online communication vehicles.
- Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and the not-for-profit sector.
- Travel locally to attend meetings, trainings, or conduct business offsite.
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development.
- Advocate, promote and practice cultural sensitivity and responsiveness in all day-to-day interactions.
- Maintain confidentiality of information at all times.
- Attend all required individual and team supervision sessions/meetings.
- Participate in all required professional development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Baccalaureate degree required in Journalism, Communications or related field;
- Work experience in the not-for-profit sector preferred.
- 4-5 years of work experience in the sector including the handling of nonprofit communications, original writing and editing and marketing.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with digital and print brand building and brand management.
- Demonstrated proficiency in internet marketing techniques, technologies, and solutions.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Breadth of working knowledge and past experience in publishing with print and web- media.
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements preferred.
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate the end-to-end development process while meeting deadlines and budget requirements.
- Mission and culture alignment;
- Initiative and ability to problem solve;
- Track record of establishing effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels across teams;
- Demonstrated flexibility in work settings, maturity of judgment and ability to work collegialy;
- Be able to lift 25-30 lbs.
- Be able to walk, squat/kneel, sit on floor, see, hear and speak.
- Be able to raise objects from a lower to higher location or moving objects horizontally from one location to another.
- Be able to sit for extended periods of time in front of a computer.