Accounts Receivable Specialist I
Under general supervision of the General Accounting Supervisor, performs the day to day activities involved in the collection and posting of accounts receivable for Fairfax Water.
Examples of Duties
- Opens the customer payment center and maintains proper cash controls at POS registers.
- Accepts customer payments and provides a high level of customer service support.
- Accurately processes deposits including items requiring special handling, such as multiple transaction payments, payments with no account number, and payments with unusual amounts.
- Processes and posts transactions (cash and checks) for payments received from customers in Fairfax Water's night depository.
- Processes and posts transactions (checks and ACH payments) for payments received from customers using a bill paying or other third party payment service.
- Reviews lock box items daily ensuring accurate and timely corrections for all rejections.
- Counts cash at the end of each night and balances daily counter activity.
- Prepares the daily cash reconciliation report comparing bank deposits to payments posted in the SAP accounting system.
- Acts as custodian of a petty cash fund.
- Maintains the direct debit program ensuring accurate setup of customer bank information.
- Prepares and delivers the daily bank deposit within a specific time frame.
- Reviews daily cash receipts clarification report, researching and resolving all payment discrepancies.
- Researches and corrects customer payment problems.
- Researches and corrects customer related bank debit and credit notices.
- Researches customer payments for accounts that are eligible for a refund.
- Assists the Customer Service Department with payment research and other requests, when needed.
- Maintains accounts receivable files and performs other administrative functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school supplemented by courses in accounting and bookkeeping, and a minimum of two years related experience, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles.
- Must have good organizational skills and attention to details.
- Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to write clearly.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work accurately and calmly in meeting deadlines.
- Ability to use a 10-key calculator efficiently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the public.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- SAP software experience preferred.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
“Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”