Accounts Receivable Specialist I
1 day left
- Full Time
Under general supervision of the General Accounting Supervisor, performs the day to day activities involved in the collection and posting of accounts receivable for Fairfax Water.
Examples of Duties
- Opens the customer payment center and maintains proper cash controls at POS registers.
- Accepts customer payments and provides a high level of customer service support.
- Accurately processes deposits including items requiring special handling, such as multiple transaction payments, payments with no account number, and payments with unusual amounts.
- Processes and posts transactions (cash and checks) for payments received from customers in Fairfax Water's night depository.
- Processes and posts transactions (checks and ACH payments) for payments received from customers using a bill paying or other third party payment service.
- Reviews lock box items daily ensuring accurate and timely corrections for all rejections.
- Counts cash at the end of each night and balances daily counter activity.
- Prepares the daily cash reconciliation report comparing bank deposits to payments posted in the SAP accounting system.
- Acts as custodian of a petty cash fund.
- Maintains the direct debit program ensuring accurate setup of customer bank information.
- Prepares and delivers the daily bank deposit within a specific time frame.
- Reviews daily cash receipts clarification report, researching and resolving all payment discrepancies.
- Researches and corrects customer payment problems.
- Researches and corrects customer related bank debit and credit notices.
- Researches customer payments for accounts that are eligible for a refund.
- Assists the Customer Service Department with payment research and other requests, when needed.
- Maintains accounts receivable files and performs other administrative functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school supplemented by courses in accounting and bookkeeping, and a minimum of two years related experience, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles.
- Must have good organizational skills and attention to details.
- Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to write clearly.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work accurately and calmly in meeting deadlines.
- Ability to use a 10-key calculator efficiently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the public.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- SAP software experience preferred.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
“Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”