Position Title: Gardener (Temporary)
Supervisor: Director of Gardens and Grounds
Department: Gardens and Grounds
Duration/Hours: 10 weeks/40-hour work week, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Assists in the general maintenance of the Dumbarton Oaks gardens and grounds. Actively participates in the daily care and maintenance of this historic 16-acre property including 10 acres of formal gardens and terraces. Works under the general supervision of the garden director, and the direct guidance of Foreperson and Crew Leaders. Works alongside gardeners, interns, and volunteers within the assigned crew, with particular responsibility for the maintenance duties pertaining to the crews’ designated sections of the gardens.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general ground maintenance: watering, weeding, planting, pruning, fertilizer applications, pool, and fountain care. Operates handheld tools and equipment used in performance of these duties. Assists in preparing the gardens for daily public visiting hours, including removal of debris from walkways and steps. Assists with other areas of the garden and special projects as needed. Performs related duties as required. Works independently and with supervision and as a member of a team.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools Must have a strong interest in horticulture and the environment
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing Conversational fluency in Spanish preferred
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Endurance to walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, and climb on uneven terrain
- Strength to push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
This position remains open until filled. Candidates should submit their resume to: HumanResources@doaks.org.
Please use the email subject line “Temporary Summer Gardener”
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).