SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
NATURE OF WORK
This is senior professional and technical programming work analyzing, designing, developing, implementing and maintaining applications supporting the Senate. Work includes extensive user contact to collect user requirements when defining overall system requirements. Work includes system analysis and design, programming, and conducting program and system testing. The incumbent must determine the tools and methods to employ in planning, designing and modeling the application. Work in this classification is distinguished from the Software Engineer by its level of system expertise, lead assignments, ability to work independently, interactions with users, and development and implementation of Senate-wide systems. Work is performed under the general direction of a Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
(This list is not absolute or restrictive, but indicates approximate duties and responsibilities which may be redefined pursuant to operational needs.)
● Analyzes user requirements to design system components and functional specifications; prepares detailed program design specifications; delivers data and system requirements for major or critical Senate systems.
● Analyzes programs, data, and procedures affected by system modifications or additions.
● Troubleshoots programming and database malfunctions; analyzes malfunctions and takes appropriate corrective action (often in a time-sensitive situation).
● Leads a software development project team in applications development, implementing and testing applications; prepares implementation schedules for assigned applications/subsystems.
● Installs applications on user workstations.
● Performs system deployments for new releases; performs system maintenance; researches and performs upgrades; researches and develops prototypes of systems in different products.
● Monitors existing systems; makes and implements enhancements to improve the efficiency of program operations and user information needs.
● Modifies programs to correct program errors previously undetected.
● Designs and programs database applications.
● Designs and prepares test data and conducts program and system testing and debugging.
● Develops and implements procedures for quality assurance, testing and configuration management.
● Provides technical support to users, support vendors and other technical staff; monitors contact with users and contact support of existing systems and new systems development.
● Prepares and maintains analysis and program documentation.
● Creates, develops, modifies, instructs and provides technical assistance on business continuity plans and processes.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work requires sitting and operating a computer for extended periods, with occasional standing, climbing, pulling and safely lifting up to 25 pounds. May occasionally work evenings or weekends to resolve problems or handle incidents.
Work requires a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, management information systems or a related field, and five to eight years of experience in developing software applications; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
● Knowledge of programming languages, data structures, and utilities and software packages for software development.
● Knowledge of structured and object-oriented engineering analyses, programming techniques and design methodologies.
● Knowledge of diagramming, flow charting, detailed analysis and program documentation writing.
● Ability to lead a team or critical systems development/support assignment.
● Ability to prepare and check structured and object-oriented programs.
● Ability to resolve program and system problems.
● Ability to communicate effectively.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Professional certification(s) may be required.
This position may require the incumbent to be available for sudden recall in response to emergency events affecting the Senate campus/community, which may include after-hour or weekend work, and to potentially deploy to alternate sites in support of the Senate’s contingency operations. This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Apply to: https://sen.gov/XXXQ