The Benefits Department of Arnold & Porter has a Benefits Manager opening in the Washington, DC Office. The Benefits Manager will work directly with the Director of Health & Welfare Benefits to effectively administer the firm’s domestic health and welfare programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Partnering with the Director of Health & Welfare Benefits to design and administer all the firm’s domestic health and welfare programs.
- Supervising a team of two benefits team members.
- Ensuring the smooth operation of the benefit programs in all phases (implementation, open enrollment, HRIS, payroll, reporting, billing, communications, etc.)
- Proactively ensuring that the records, files, processing, and procedures meet or exceed all compliance standards. Understanding each process and troubleshooting challenges.
- Analyzing all health and welfare benefit plans to ensure they are in conformance with firm policies and procedures, Plan documentation, contractual arrangements, and regulatory requirements (ERISA, DOL, IRS, HIPAA, FMLA, COBRA, ADEA, ADA, other federal, state and local laws, etc.)
- Assisting the Director of Health & Welfare Benefits with vendor contracts, drafting of communications, and reviewing of documentation including but not limited to proposals, contracts, plan documents, amendments, and summary plan descriptions.
- Ensuring benefits are effectively communicated to professional staff and attorneys.
- Managing the set up and functionality of the benefit plans in the firm’s HRIS system. Assisting with updates and maintenance of the HRIS system for benefit programs and making necessary HRIS changes.
- Assisting the Director of Health & Welfare Benefits with the preparation of the annual budget for the Benefits Department. Monitoring and reporting monthly variances.
- Supporting the invoice payment processes.
- Coordinating the data and documentation necessary to accomplish all tasks involved with the annual benefit renewals and open enrollment.
- Conducting new hire benefits orientations as needed.
- Assisting with the firm’s wellness programs.
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of benefits, current trends and legislation and monitoring the external legal environment and assisting with amendments as necessary.
- Ensuring a high level of client service and satisfaction are attained. Assisting with the management and maintenance of ongoing relationships with outside consultants, brokers, carriers and third-party vendors.
- Four year degree or equivalent experience. Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum of four (4) years of expertise in design, administration and management of health and welfare benefit programs and vendor management in a law firm or professional services environment.
- In-depth knowledge of ERISA, Section 125, COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA and tax-qualified pension plans.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Proficiency in a range of computer databases and software including: Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, etc.
- Project experience in implementing new benefit plans and programs.
- Excellent business presentation and interpersonal skills, along with excellent planning skills.
- Strong aptitude towards efficiency, quality and consistency as well as a focus on client service.
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task, meet deadlines, and handle sensitive matters.
- Be forward thinking, flexible, and able to delegate and prioritize accordingly.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, as both a team member and a team leader.
- Ability to make sound decisions and demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to strategically maintain financial/budgetary information.
- Effective leadership experience.
- Ability to be a change agent and drive new firm initiatives.
- Ability to demonstrate strategic focus.
- Possess exceptional judgement and professionalism.
- Ability to define goals and follow though to achieve results.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as needed.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race (inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.