Senior Maintenance Technician
Senior Maintenance Technician
Selection Process Nº: 68743-67
Salary: G5 - $71,702/ G4 - $61,646 USD per annum plus benefits
Contract Type: Indeterminate (Full-time)
Term Details: This position is a Locally Engaged Staff position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in USA.
Location: The Embassy of Canada to the United States
Closing date for application: 17 May, 2022 at 23:59 UTC/GMT -5:00
Or use the following link to apply: https://staffing-les.international.gc.ca/en/careers/senior-maintenance-technician-wshdc-68743-en
Summary of Duties:
The Senior Maintenance Technician position is a supervisory working level position, which supervises a crew of three technicians and contractors.
Primary Role: Oversees specialized and general repairs and maintenance services on crown owned or leased assets and equipment in various areas of work including electricity, heating, plumbing, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), auto/vehicle mechanic, masonry, and carpentry. This includes supervising a maintenance team and supporting/assisting other maintenance team members in the completion of various projects and general maintenance.
Advice & Recommendations: Plans the work, reviews technical assessments and reports from Specialized Technicians and contractors and provides advice and recommendations to management on prioritization and costing of the work. Revises and prepares project plans and progress reports, and recommends maintenance and repair work, purchases of systems, equipment and material, as well as adjustments to project plans and budgets to the Manager.
Documents and Services: Plans and oversees repairs and maintenance projects on crown assets, leases and crown equipment in accordance with professional codes and local/national standards, and safety and health regulations. This includes the repair, replacement, building and maintenance of various systems and equipment. Ensures that all contractors provide appropriate certificates or licenses and that work is completed properly, and to the highest standard. Ensures that all materials, equipment and tools are in good condition prior and after use and brings problems or issues to management as required. Oversees reviews, assesses the accuracy of the inventory of tools and materials, supply requests, and purchase orders for maintenance team, and makes recommendations for required purchases to the supervisor. Reviews initial projects cost forecasts for completeness and accuracy before seeking project approval. Produces reports on pre and post inspections for SQs.
Research & Analysis: Oversees the research and analysis related to maintenance problems, to develop and recommend solutions and to identify the best methodologies and technologies to be used when conducting repairs and maintenance activities.
Networking & Alliance Building: Develops and maintains a network of contacts with local service providers and suppliers for various maintenance and repair needs at the mission.
Communications & Client Services: Ensures that installation, repair and maintenance work at the mission is done in a safe, professional, and timely manner, while maintaining the continuity of mission operations as much as possible.
Committees & Working Groups: May participate to committees and/or working groups and lead various project team(s).
Supervision/Management Responsibilities: Supervises a maintenance team and inspects the work performed by contractors to ensure compliance with national/local standards, plans, contracts and manufacturer’s specifications. This involves conducting performance assessments, managing schedules, reviewing project assessments and work plans, and assigning work and projects for Maintenance Technicians and contractors. Maintains and updates approved lists of suppliers and contractors to use when professional trades people are necessary. Participates in staffing processes for the maintenance team as required.
Area of Selection:
Open to internal and external applicants who are residents of the United States having independent work authorization and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for employment in a foreign mission (US Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents or A, G or NATO-2 category visa-holders) who meet all of the essential requirements stated below and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the mission will not reimburse relocation costs under any circumstance and that the mission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
*Language will be assessed further during the process.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Minimum High School Diploma.
Proficiency level in English (reading, writing, comprehension and speaking).
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in the field of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
For GS-05 position only:
- Must also have a minimum one (1) year of supervisory experience.
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview online, pre-recorded or in-person, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Good knowledge of commercial building operations such as heating, ventilation and air conditioning, electrical and mechanical. Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety practices, and safety regulations.
- Commitment to Public Confidence and values and ethics; Organizational Skills; Focus on Quality and Details; Adaptability and Flexibility; and Teamwork.
- Effective oral and written communication in English; Ability to manage multiply service contracts and preventative maintenance schedules and follow up with quality assurance checks; Ability to work under pressure and to meet competing deadlines
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications.
- Ability to communicate in French Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively Experience planning the work, reviewing technical assessments and reports and providing advice and recommendations to management. Experience with fire alarm and fire suppression systems and utilizing a maintenance software system. Recent HVAC experience, ie within the last 12 months.
- Hours of work: Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with Locally-Engaged Staff regulations of 40 hours per week. The successful candidate must be willing to work paid overtime regularly and at short notice, as this position is essential. The work performed requires a frequent and continuing effort in inspecting and repairing the infrastructure and equipment. The work includes bending, standing, walking, lifting, and manipulating heavy objects not more then 50 lbs. The work is required to be done from ladders, catwalks, rooftops and 80’ lifts.
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment must be met or complied with before being appointed to a particular position, and are to be maintained throughout the employment while being the incumbent of this position.
- Valid work authorization: Ability to obtain and hold a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period.
- Security screening: Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security level) which includes a criminal and credit background check from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
- Vaccination compliance: All new hires on or after the effective date of October 6, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and to attest that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their starting date unless accommodation measures are granted.
Other conditions of employment:
- Must have Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions. In this respect, applicants must confirm independent work authorization in the United States (e.g. US Citizen, U.S Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), or specific visa categories (e.g. dependents of Diplomatic and Official Visas holders)) as required by the Department of State for employment in a foreign mission.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Special Request from Mission / Additional Comments:
We offer a competitive salary, generous leave, 12 weeks of paid parental leave and a strong benefits package that includes medical, dental, long term disability and a retirement savings plan. Please find a summary of our benefits package and information on employment eligibility at:
How to Apply
- You must submit your application using the "Apply online" function. Only applications submitted via VidCruiter will be considered, unless a valid reason is presented and accepted prior to the closing date. Do not include personal data such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion or a picture in your application form, CV nor cover letter (as required). Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster. You must clearly demonstrate in answering the screening questions how you meet the education and experience factors listed in the essential and asset qualifications. You must provide specific examples to demonstrate clearly how you meet the qualifications. Global Affairs Canada cannot make any assumptions about your studies nor experience. Simply saying you have the required qualifications or listing your current duties will not be sufficient. Instead, you must provide concrete and detailed examples that clearly explain where, when, and how you gained the experience. No additional information will be sought beyond what you submit in your online application. Candidates may be required to upload a CV and/or a cover letter in English or French. These documents may be used as a secondary source to validate the answers to the screening questions. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information and/or whose are not received by the closing date will be rejected. Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to LES-E-Recruitment-WSHDC@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). The language requirement for this position is identified under the essential qualifications (language). In consequence, the assessment process for this vacancy will be conducted in English. Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder. Reference checks may be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments. Please note that the Embassy of Canada to the United States does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs. Before an offer of employment can be made, successful candidates must provide a local residence address as proof of residence in the specified area of selection. This information is necessary to issue a letter of offer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact us at LES-E-Recruitment-WSHDC@international.gc.ca to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential. The results of this selection process may also be used to establish one or more pools of fully or partially qualified candidates for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada to the United States which might arise following the completion of this selection process. For Canadian citizens/residents and Canadian dual nationals, please note that it is your responsibility to enquire with the Canadian Revenue Agency about any possible taxation implications linked to an employment with the Government of Canada.