Manager D (Print and Digital Publishing)
This position supports National Education Association's (NEA) strategic objective to focus the energy and resources of the Association’s 3 million members toward the promotion of public education. The ideal candidate will have professional skills to support all aspects of content development and distribution in mixed media channels, including printed and mailed delivery of NEA’s magazines, e-delivery of articles, magazine and other content streams. The successful candidate conceives, collaborates across teams to develop and implement a strategic plan, timeline and components to grow adoption of editorial content across mixed delivery channels, partially through email acquisition. The position manages the print and e-delivery of NEA’s magazines as well as additional content streams. The ideal candidate understands the fundamental differences associated with producing content that resonates, engages and is optimized for specific communication channels. This position will evaluate content and provide strategic recommendations to 1) create new ways to present editorial and other content for print and digital distribution, 2) increase digital delivery and 3) prepare readers and users to receive content digitally via print, online and mobile publishing platforms.
- Leverages measurement tools to craft a print-to-digital migration strategy by analyzing progress.
- Is led by user experience in considering multi-modal content delivery channels, for print and/or digital publishing.
- Ensures all the components of the print publications are delivered on time and in the appropriate format to the printer.
- Works within and across teams to ensure that owned content and advertising are designed and delivered in appropriate formats.
- Produces or oversees the production of a production schedule to establish copy deadlines, pre-press dates, etc. in conjunction with the editorial, design, print and mail deadlines.
- Ensures coordination across teams and to external vendors to ensure publication meets production targets, track stages of the production process, anticipates and troubleshoots problems.
- Communicates, regularly and proactively, with printers, designers, journalists and the advertising teams to ensure quality and timelines are met.
- Leverages motivational profiles, content audits to optimize and conceive of ways to re-package, distribute a healthy mix of content with strategic adjustments driven by delivery mode and audience insights.
- Coaches and develops staff to grow in their own skills and develop new ones that will meet the emerging trends in content marketing and distribution industry.
- Maintains and/or establishes production tracking systems and infrastructure to maximize efficiencies and optimize for performance and engagement.
- Collaborates to proactively identify, develop strategies to increase digital footprint of editorial content, test new content types and digital delivery mechanisms designed to move and inform audiences and drive engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, graphic design/visual communications, information technology, interface design, information architecture, or related discipline, or an equivalent. combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skill may be obtained.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience using and operating high-end print, web, and/or multimedia publishing software.
- Experience managing print production for magazine or periodical from soup to nuts, working with designers, journalists, photographers, printers and distributors.
- Experience managing the financials of magazines and periodicals, including extensive familiarity with postal regulations on content to advertising ratios, postage rates and routes, binding processes and printing options in order to make strategic recommendations for innovation while best protecting budget.
- Demonstrated experience in production management in a magazine or printing facility.
- Solid experience in developing printer relationships, bidding and selecting vendors.
- Proven ability to track and manage complex multi-million dollar budgets, including projecting costs, identifying and reconciling variances.
- Experience with web tools.
- Experience crafting strategies for B2B and B2C audiences.
- Specialized training in graphic design, 4-color web offset printing, and web application topics such as information architecture, user interface design, taxonomy and web page development.
- Significant experience and hands-on understanding of print production.
- Strong technical background in digital publishing and web authoring tools.
- Demonstrated experience designing, assembling, and preparing high quality and timely page layouts and design collateral.
- Proven project management track record demonstrating that engagements were delivered on-time and within budget.
- Demonstrated significant experience developing web pages and interactive media and multimedia products using web-related tools, software, HTML and HTML editors.
- Proven and demonstrable experience in designing detailed multi-year plan to co-publish content in print and digital formats, with an emphasis on designing strategy and plans to increase usage and adoption of digital.
- Ability to multi-task, assuming multiple projects run concurrently in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Interested candidates should apply online at www.nea.org/jobs. A résumé, writing sample, references, and written test may be required of all applicants.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the following is provided: The position involves skill in using a computer and/or laptop; oral and written communication skills; skills in proofreading and editing; use of clear and articulate speech; interpersonal relations skills; reasoning and problem solving skills; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to sit for long periods, stoop, bend, reach and carry light materials (up to 10 lbs.); and ability to travel by various methods of transportation, e.g., airplane, car.
Apply online at: Manager D (Print and Digital Publishing) (myworkdayjobs.com) or on Careers | NEA
NEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ENCOURAGES WOMEN, MINORITIES AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES TO APPLY.