American Sign Language Teacher (ASL)
McLean School (mcleanschool.org), a K-12 co-educational independent school in Potomac, Maryland, seeks applicants for an American Sign Language Teacher to begin August 2022. McLean School has for over sixty-five years been helping bright students realize their full potential by providing a comprehensive college preparatory program that emphasizes small classes and differentiated instruction. Through our Abilities Model®, we embrace both traditional learners and ones with mild to moderate learning challenges. We recognize and teach to individual strengths, responding to areas of challenge, but never defining students by them.
Duties and Responsibilities
The ASL Teacher will seek to build an appreciation for and love of American Sign Language among our students and strengthen their self-confidence as they learn to advocate for themselves and to prepare for success in college and beyond.
- They will teach 5 Middle and Upper School classes a day spanning beginning to advanced courses.
- Additional duties will include sponsoring an Upper School club or committee, advising a group of 12-15 Upper School students, assisting with projects and school wide-initiatives and attending various school functions.
Qualifications, Experience, and Education
- A dynamic educator with vision and patience. Most important, the individual will subscribe to our Core Values, our Mission, and our Philosophy, and will seek passionately to uphold and promote them.
- Fluent in American Sign Language,
- College degree in ASL instruction
- At least two years teaching experience at the Middle or High School level
- An appreciation for and experience working with students who have mild to moderate learning challenges such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, executive functioning challenges, and ADHD.
- Displays a collaborative spirit and growth mindset
- Demonstrated effective communication skills with students, faculty, staff, and parents
- An ability and willingness to assist with our growing social and emotional curriculum would be a plus.
McLean School is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, genetic status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please contact Executive Support Manager, Robin Speller.
Interested applicants should fill out an online Application, and upload their Cover Letter and Résumé.