Work at the Washington Post to support the mobile team responsible for building and maintaining native iOS and Android applications. These applications rely on services provided by Digital Subscriptions back end team that focuses on acquiring and retaining digital subscribers. This is a fast paced, high growth environment that respects its engineers and customers. We are looking for a self-driven engineer with a conscientious mentality and a commitment to innovate with high quality work. In this role, you have a direct impact on The Post's top line performance and the opportunity to work with colleagues from all parts of the company from Marketing to the Newsroom.
You will perform technical analysis and design, develop and enhance applications based on user requirements in a variety of technical environments. You will also often be involved in small or mid-size projects or contribute to a distinct task of a large project.
- Work across many backend services which power subscriber experiences onsite and in native mobile apps.
- Write high-quality code with best practices and design patterns in mind and engage in code review/quality assurance.
- Work with your partners from different teams and disciplines to create a scalable experimentation and personalization architecture.
- Consult with your partners in Product to form sprint goals and break work into atomic units.
- Optimize the underlying AWS infrastructure for subscription services for performance and cost.
- Use your experience to help guide technical decisions and participate in technical architecture discussions.
- This role requires limited on-call hours. An on-call schedule will be determined a couple of months after you join, taking into account team size and other variables.
It's okay to not meet 100% of these requirements! We're primarily looking for people who are motivated to learn new technologies and who enjoy pushing the limits of back-end development.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
- 5+ years of experience with Java EE
- Experience with other frameworks such as Play! And Spring are a plus.
- Experience writing unit, integration and end to end tests to ensure code quality.
- A keen eye for detail, good use of polymorphism, and the ability to write code that promotes code reuse.
- Experience with DevOps technologies like Docker, Jenkins, and AWS Products.
- Experience with MySQL, Oracle, and other relational databases.
- Experience with Lambda/SAM/Serverless is a plus.
- Experience with Splunk.
- Experience/Familiarity with Application servers such as Wildfly, Glassfish, Tomcat.
- Experience/Familiarity with Web servers such as httpd and Nginx.
- Experience with message/event buses such as JMS, ActiveMq, SQS/SNS (AWS).
- Experience in agile software development teams working iteratively with designers, product managers, and stakeholders.
- Experience with Python/Node is a plus.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow