The Finance & Accounting Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Payroll Specialist in the Washington, DC office. The Specialist is responsible for processing all aspects of U.S. payrolls.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating all activities related to the complete processing of all US payrolls in the payroll system. Validating and approving employee tax, direct deposit and deduction changes into the payroll system. Processing the final compensation and PTO payout due to employees on final days of employment.
- Using critical thinking skills when validating payroll information during the payroll process to ensure reasonableness, completeness and accuracy.
- Organizing the printing and mailing of live payroll checks to all offices/employee’s address, as necessary.
- Organizing and maintaining payroll reports electronically.
- Maintaining employee payroll records with the including banking, address, leave, salary, tax withholdings, and other information as required.
- Creating and distributing payroll related reports as requested.
- Working closely with the Human Resources Department to process and administer salary increases, administrative leave, and employee arrival/departure pay.
- Working closely with benefits to prevent over contribution of Partner 401K contributions.
- Effectively communicating with supervisors, administration, and the Finance & Accounting Department regarding payroll issues.
- Setting up and maintaining employee and partner payroll files and preparing files for offsite storage when necessary.
- Preparing workpapers for upcoming payrolls (e.g., the personal accounts file for upload to the Retired Partners payroll).
- Responding to payroll related inquiries and performing research as required.
- Providing detailed information and explanation to administrative staff as required.
- Completing verification of employment requested provided by HR.
- Validating the various documents used in reconciliations and tracking, such as the manual check spreadsheet.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience in lieu of degree.
- A minimum of five years of experience processing payroll for multiple states in the U.S.
- Law firm or other professional services organization experience preferred.
- Knowledge of sophisticated payroll databases and structures. Knowledge of Ultimate payroll software, a plus.
- Knowledge of Excel creating spreadsheets, Template and csv files.
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail while working under strict time constraints.
- Demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work on multi payrolls processing from open to close.
- Ability to think analytically solving problems.
- Ability to manually calculate checks by the payroll schedule and tax.
- Exceptional client service skills and problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Possess reliability, dependability and motivation.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Exceptional client service, both internal and external.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race (inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.