Director II, Facilities
The Director of Facilities for ACPS oversees and provides leadership in the areas of operations and maintenance of all ACPS physical plants and the capital improvement program. The Director holds the responsibility for ensuring that division equipment is managed and maintained in an optimal operating condition. He/she is also responsible for maintaining the grounds and interiors of all facilities in a condition of high standards of excellence, cleanliness, neatness, and aesthetic attractiveness that supports the educational environment. The Director maintains a culture of proactive management among his/her team, uses innovative approaches for facilities management programs and instills a high regard for integrated services and solutions.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in a field related to architecture, engineering, public administration, or business administration.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid driver's license required.
- Experience: Minimum of ten years of successful supervisory experience and public sector capital budget and procurement processes, preferably within a school system. Management of a buildings and grounds operation with oversight of personnel and contractor staffs from various technical disciplines.
- Serves as a key leader for the Operations Department. Coordinates with other Operations Department offices and operations and school based staff to ensure the seamless delivery of services to schools.
- Responsible for Facilities Management of 18 schools and other facilities within in the division.
- Responsible for all building systems operations, maintenance management, project management, and schedules of capital projects. Coordinates and manages the capital improvement program and ensures other ACPS departments and offices experience effective outcomes. Supports optimal educational environments.
- Responsible for overseeing the formulation and management of multi-million dollar budgets and projects.
- Develops and institutes internal controls. Ensures that ACPS policies, processes and procedures comply with industry standards, legal, state and local laws.
- Prepares and implements high standards for ACPS facilities. Manages the development and annual facility operating and maintenance budgets and supervises the preparation and administration of the capital improvement portion of the budget.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a strong preventative maintenance program.
- Responsible for the effective work flow, quality control management and customer service operations for ACPS facilities maintenance and operations.
- Supervisory management including directing mid-level managers in the recruitment, employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, demotion, or dismissal of Facilities personnel.
- Directs and coordinates staff and contractors in the efficient execution and completion of all activities related to the repair, renovation and maintenance of all ACPS facilities.
- Conducts inspections of school buildings, grounds, and mechanical installations regularly to ensure high standards of workmanship, cleanliness, safety, and security are being upheld.
- Manages the comprehensive planning and scheduling of maintenance and repair requirements of the division, including motorized equipment to ensure safe and functional facilities and equipment.
- Organizes and implements an orientation program for departmental personnel.
- Provides regular status reports to senior administrators and the School Board to convey information on ongoing projects and maintenance programs.
- Responds to the requirements of school administrators and PTA organizations with respect to addressing school facility standards of excellence and the status if corrective issues, as appropriate.
- Supervises and inspects facility improvement and renovation work performed by outside contractors to verify that the terms of all such contracts have been fulfilled before authorizing final payments.
- Coordinates and oversees the completion of activities in all phases of the project cycle of facilities-related construction projects.
- Assists other personnel and performs other duties as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.