Bilingual Specialist (Arabic)
The job of the Arabic-speaking Parent Liaison will focus on family engagement efforts specific to families division-wide whose home language is Arabic.
Responsibilities will include:
- Creating welcoming school environments for Arabic-speaking parents;
- Conducting outreach through a variety of communications to empower Arabic-speaking parents/guardians to be actively engaged in their child's education;
- Managing Arabic Parent Information Phone Line;
- Connecting Arabic-speaking families to information, resources and services available to their student/family across the school division (i.e. Student Services, Special Ed, TAG, etc.);
- Working with administrators to address issues and concerns presented by Arabic-speaking parents/guardians.
- Support School-Based Parent Liaison at Principal's coffees, family events and activities.
The position reports to the Family and Community Engagement Center (FACE) Parent Engagement Coordinator.
Certificates & Licenses:
- Valid Driver's License
- At least two years of professional experience working with community-based outreach program, schools and/or non-profits with increasing levels of responsibility is required.
- Experience working with culturally diverse communities.
- Oral and written proficiency in Arabic is required.
- Must have reliable transportation to travel to schools and community sites.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other team members.
- Understanding and sensitivity for diverse cultural, ethnic and socio-economic background of students.
- Ability to determine and assess confidential material, and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent time management, customer service skills and people skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend availability.
- Ability to work in high-pace work environment and use good judgment.
- Passionate and committed to the mission of FACE Center and ACPS.
- Ability to use Microsoft products, smart phone, and social media.
Create a welcoming school environment:
- Establish trusting relationships and serve as a point of contact for families.
- Assist families in efforts to navigate the school system.
- Advocate for families, as appropriate.
- Work closely with other school staff to coordinate services for students and families, including: School Support Team members, English Language Learner (ELL) department staff, special education staff, teachers and administrators.
- Provide information on services available to eligible students and families and encourages participation, as appropriate.
- Provide community referrals to families as needed.
- Provide families with information about ACPS volunteer process, opportunities and assist them with on-line application as needed.
- Work with bilingual parents/guardians and staff to ensure use of Language Line as needed and ensure necessary interpreter services are available at parent-teacher conferences, school meetings/activities and as requested.
- Ensures multilingual signs, bulletin boards and other displays visible at school entrance and/or lobby to welcome families and provide information.
- Attend appropriate FACE trainings and meetings.
Conduct outreach to empower parents/guardians to be actively engaged in their children's education:
- Review outreach materials for distribution in Arabic language of parents/guardians (i.e. flyers about upcoming activities, school calendar of events, available school/community resources, etc.).
- Develop ongoing relationships with community-based and local faith-based organizations and makes presentations to provide school information.
- Assist robo-calls to share important information with families in the languages they speak.
- Survey parents/guardians on welcoming environment, parent involvement opportunities and perceived access to information/resources.
- Stay abreast of information resources and support available to families and share with parents/guardians ways to support their children's learning at home.
- Keep track of contact with parents.
- Attend PTA and parent support meetingsand other relevant meetings within the community as needed.
Organize family involvement events/activities:
- Assist school-based Parent Liasions during FACE-sponsored and other monthly events or activities to support family engagement in school (i.e., navigating the school system, parent coffees, preparing for parent-teacher conferences, bullying prevention, mental health support, and supporting literacy at home, etc.)
Work with the principal to address parent/guardian issues and concerns at the school:
- Work with principal and other school staff, as needed, to address and resolve specific parent/guardian concerns.
- Assist school administrators in the development or revision of strategies to facilitate school-family collaboration.
- Work with school's leadership team to develop an appropriate involvement component of the school's plan.
- Attend appropriate trainings and meetings at school.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.